"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

13 December 2016

Hidden.


It’s a shamanistic thing, a process that occurs in your dream life. It’s very primitive because our brains are primitive in a Jungian sense. From the time I was a little boy I admired bears and wolves, and it became important for me to see one in the process of my life rather than going off and seeing one as a tourist. I know what we’ll do. Grab your recorder and let’s walk out here and see how many of the aspen hybrids I planted have survived ... I’m going to get about five thousand of them and make a little woodcock covert right here, so I can have a singing woodcock in my backyard. Then I got this other idea, which is to fill up this whole pasture with planted and transplanted wildflowers, just keep planting them every year until this whole thing is a jungle of wildflowers and bushes. It’s hard to think about but by the time I die, if I make it another twenty years, wouldn’t it be wonderful to stand out here hidden from view in this big jungle of bushes and wildflowers? That’s my idea of a nice thing.

Jim Harrison

No comments: