"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

07 January 2015

Guess.


Fourteen Poems Chosen from Moral Proverbs and Folk Songs

1
The eye you see is not
an eye because you see it;
it is an eye because it sees you.

2
To talk with someone,
ask a question first,
then -- listen.

3
Narcissism
is an ugly fault
and now it's a boring fault too.

4
But look in your mirror for the other one,
the other one who walks by your side.

5
Between living and dreaming 
there is a third thing.
Guess it.

6
Look for the other half
who walks always next to you
and tends to be what you aren't.

7
In my solitude
I have seen things very clearly
that were not true.

8
Form your letters slowly and well:
making things well
is more important than making them.

9
What the poet is searching for 
is not the fundamental I
but the deep you.

10
Beyond living and dreaming
there is something more important:
waking up.

11
Pay attention now:
a heart that's all by itself
is not a heart.

12
If it's good to live,
then it's better to be asleep dreaming,
and best of all,
mother, is to awake.

13
When I am alone
how close my friends are;
when I am with them
how distant they are!

14
But art?
It is pure and intense play,
so it is like pure and intense life,
so it is like pure and intense fire.
You'll see the coal burning.

Antonio Machado

Thank You, Jessica.

No comments: