"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

17 December 2011

Rest In Peace, Cesária Évora.


Cesária Évora died today in her native Cape Verde.

My friend Veerle introduced me to Cesária Évora while we were working together at Katzinger's Delicatessen. She exposed me to a great deal of the beauty in the world that otherwise I would have never known. Cesária Évora was one of those beauties.

I remember deep winter mornings, while we stacked rye bread, cared for cheeses, and organized cured meats, listening to the tranquil, warming sounds and stories that Veerle brought with her and that eminated from her like a perfume. Many remain with me, but Cesária has become a musical and spiritual standby that carries me whenever I need to go to "that place."

Thank you, my friend, and thank you, Cesária Évora, for the blessing of your art.

Cesária Évora, "Sodade'

No comments: