"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

19 September 2011

Sacrifice.

After so many years touring Arlington Cemetery with my family in honor of my father’s father, who was gravely wounded just days before the end of World War I, it was a rare privilege to stand next to the historic monument, which is beautiful at any distance. It was a high honor to meet and talk with the men who guard the Tomb of the Unknowns around the clock year-round, all members of the elite 3rd U.S. Infantry. In the middle of the night, as the conservators worked, it was clear to me that the men and women charged with guarding and conserving the Tomb of the Unknowns share a deep respect for the iconic monument and the ultimate sacrifice it represents.

The conservation efforts at the Tomb of the Unknowns are explained here ...



Read the rest at PreservationNation.

No comments: