"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

24 June 2011

Vividly.


Small portions are for small inactive people. The craving is for the genuine rather than the estoteric. I'm afraid that eating in restaurants reflects our experiences that inspire mild amusement, but mostly a feeling of stupidity and shame. Better to cook for yourself.

The idea is to eat well and not die from it -- for the simple reason that that would be the end of my eating. There is abundant dreariness in even the smallest health detail. Skip butter and desserts, and toss all the obvious fat to the bird dogs.

It is important not to get caught short. It is my private opinion that many of our failures in politics, art, and domestic life come from our failure to eat vividly.


- Jim Harrison

No comments: