"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

21 June 2011

True.

Nature or, that which I see, inspires me, puts me, as with any painter, in an emotional state so that an urge comes about to make something, but I want to come as close as possible to the truth and abstract everything from that, until I reach the foundation, still just an external foundation, of things. It is possible that, through horizontal and vertical lines constructed with awareness, but not with calculation, led by high intuition, and brought to harmony and rhythm, these basic forms of beauty, supplemented if necessary by other direct lines or curves, can become a work of art, as strong as it is true. To approach the spiritual in art, one will make as little use as possible of reality, because reality is opposed to the spiritual.
- Piet Mondrian

Mondrian, Avond, Red Tree, 1908


Mondrian. Grey Tree, 1911


Mondrian, Trees, 1912


Mondrian, Composition with Light Yellow, 1913


Mondrian, Composition with Gray and Light Brown, 1918

No comments: