"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 May 2011

Patient.


I think we're losing our patience with listening. I know that when I'm listening on my iPod, I do a lot of searching--I'll play twelve bars of a piece then say, 'no, I don't want to listen to that,' then I go on to something else.

When I was a kid growing up and we bought albums, we treated them with such reverence, we would listen to every single cut, first to last, whether we liked the pieces or not, we were patient enough to at least give the [pieces] a chance. I'm finding that in today's technological world we've become more and more impatient, and that we don't take time to let things soak or steep.


Read the rest here.

Bach, Partita No. 3 in E, BWV 1006, Nathan Milstein, violin



McFerrin, Improvision on Bach's Partita No. 3 for Violin

No comments: