"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

22 October 2010

Connected.


The liberal arts model treats all areas of study as leading toward wisdom. Thus, all subject areas (not just Business Ethics 101) address the questions “How should I live my life?” and “What are my obligations toward my fellow man and how can I fulfill them?” Many of the world’s problems (poverty, disease, the environment) are not a single problem, but a complex web of factors. The liberal arts offer the Millennials a systematic, yet intertwined, approach to the social ills they long to solve.

Furthermore, this approach to knowledge is inherently relational—it treats areas of knowledge as interrelated, rather than sharply divided into unrelated disciplines. It also encourages application of knowledge to human relationships. Thus, it lends itself to dialogue in the classroom.


Read the rest here.

Thank you, Cultural Offering.

No comments: