"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

30 October 2010

The Bears.

As I made my way home the other night, I was given the gift of driving into the Big Dipper. From Granville to Appleton on Loudon Street, the constellation was largely looming about 20 degrees above the northern horizon. I was heading right for it. Neat.

Here's a fun way to locate Ursa Major.

The Big and Little Dippers are opposed in the sky, so once you have located Polaris, you will have an easy time locating "The Bears."

Where is the Big Dipper at nightfall and early evening? At this time of year, the most famous star pattern visible from this hemisphere – the Big Dipper – lurks low in the north during the evening hours. To find the Big Dipper’s place in the sky, remember the phrase: spring up and fall down. That’s because the Big Dipper shines way high in the sky on spring evenings but close to the horizon in autumn.

Earth & Sky has more here.

Professor Black continues our education below ...

No comments: