"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

30 December 2009

David James Duncan


"... in my day-to-day life as a human being, and in my imaginative life as a writer, the best deeds and work spring out of a spirit of play. Of course much good work and good writing is in response to pain. But the banal little words "play" and "fun" have definitions that can broaden and deepen to address pain: to allow real sorrow, pain and joy to come as they will, open oneself to each in turn, and respond to them via deeds, or the truest words one can set down on paper, is the truest "fun" and "play" I know. The lightheartedness born of such playfulness colors our interactions with others so profoundly that I've come to consider lightheartedness one of the crucial shades in the spectrum the religious-minded might call 'the light of God.'" -David James Duncan

Read the rest here.

No comments: