"I am not one who was born in the custody of wisdom. I am one who is fond of olden times and intense in quest of the sacred knowing of the ancients." Gustave Courbet

28 January 2009

Happy Birthday, Jackson Pollock




On the floor I am more at ease, I feel nearer, more a part of the painting, since this way I can walk around in it, work from the four sides and be literally `in' the painting. When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I'm doing. It's only after a sort of "get acquainted" period that I see what I have been about. I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own.
Possibilities I, Winter 1947-48

One of my History of Art professors, Dr. Herban, told me that the responsibility given to the viewer of modern art is not to judge whether or not a work is valid -- good or bad. Rather, it is his job to understand the artist's purpose. Looking at his work and considering the quote above, we are seeing the expression of a soul.

I get a kick out of people who see Pollock's work and say, "That's not art! Heck, I could do that!" Well, first of all, shame on you for diminishing your own creative worth. Secondly . . . ah HA! Youdidn't do it! Furthermore, and sadly, you've never attempted such an expression, have you? Now, enough loitering! Go create!

National Gallery of Art's Pollock site is here.

No comments: